Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Here's some reality for ya

So, Natalie and I were talking about how sometimes blogs seem a little one-sided and don't really capture reality. We're only posting the shining, happy moments. Well, I gave the excuse that it's because I usually only post about pictures when I download them from my camera, and I don't really take too many pictures of unhappy, less shining moments. SO today I decided to try to capture some of the less shiny, more "real" things in my life. And tell you more of the less happy moments that occur during my day to day life. Hope this doesn't frighten any of you...... (and please don't turn me in for anything :))

I woke up to Noah launching spit up all over me and realizing that my whole shirt was drenched with previous spitting-ups.
Noah also had boogers all over his nose which I wiped off before I could get a picture- sorry you had to miss that.
It's 11:32 and I still have not taken a shower (yeah really gross when you consider the fact that I was covered with spit up) and I am wearing pajamas (not the wet ones at least).
This is a picture of my kitchen floor- yep, it's been at least a day since I swept- you wouldn't think it could get so nasty but there ya have it

I was going to take a picture of the dirty dishes in my sink, but then I realized what a huge mess the whole kitchen was and thought you should see the whole thing. But I almost think this picture doesn't do the mess justice- you'll have to zoom in to see all the crumbs and ice cream drippings on the counter from last night.

When I came into my living room this morning- this is what I saw:

yes, that is the laundry from yesterday (only half of it- I did manage to put away some of it before we left last night). And actually I took this picture a few hours ago, the pile has only gotten worse- and less folded thanks to Luke.

Here are the diapers I left out from last night and this morning (and you can see that I haven't vacuumed in a while) because I am too lazy to try to cram them into my garbage can that is already TOO full thanks to the lawn care guys filling it with grass that didn't come out when the garbage truck "dumped it out" on Saturday- does it smell like someone died it it?? YES!! and thanks to the placement of our garbage can- so does my car. (how am I doing Natalie?? Is this real enough for ya? :))

And speaking of smells- too bad I could not capture the smell in this picture- no, I did not take this because the boys' room looks like a parking lot (which is another annoying issue in and of itself- we're still working on how to make everything fit in their room with Noah's crib). I took this picture because my son wets the bed like every night thus making his room smell less than flowery. I have spent so much time cleaning and airing out their room, washing their sheets and freshing up the room with air fresheners it's rediculous...... and embarrassing now that I am telling everyone about it :) I'm starting to see why I don't do this on a regular basis :)


Here is Luke pouting- mid-tantrum (the camera kinda stunted the tantrum's growth though I must say- I may try that more often). He was mad because I moved the pancake batter so that he couldn't keep scooping up measuring cup-fulls, and drinking it.


And this is a picture of Luke spitting on the skillet because he liked the sound of his spit sizzling.... actually this one is kinda funny :) I might have posted this one normally :)

So then, my girls cried at me for about 20 minutes because I told them they had to clean their room before they could go outside.
Charity got jam all over the jam jar and table at breakfast. And then threw a fit when I asked her to clean it off. AND another fit when I told her to get the cricket out of the kitchen.
Luke threw a huge screaming fit in front of my friend when she came to get my girls to go play because he wanted to take Kelly's birthday balloons outside, that was pretty embarrassing. (Now would be an okay time to talk about the huge fit Bradley threw yesterday when we went to pick up Charity and Kelly at their friend's house, he was actually screaming and slamming her front door shut over and over by the time I could get Noah out of my hands to calm him down!!! AND by the way- my daughter chose to go to a friend's house on her birthday! That was pretty sad for me :) She loves to play at her friend's houses though- so I was okay with it, but definitely bummed) anyway, back to my morning!
SO then Noah cried for about 15 minutes for whatever reason, he has a cold I think, but not enough evidence to prove that it's an ear infection and take him in.
He won't sit in his seat, the walker, or on the floor happily- I have been holding him ALL morning just to keep him from crying (which can be a good thing too :) then I get to post random dumbness on my blog).
And since I'm sitting here rambling on about all the craziness that has already occurred, my boys are running around the house unsupervised probably messing it up more (if that's possible)-- I'll have to check the downstairs later, when I'm more emotionally stable :). S
o yeah, they're being neglected, watching tv, making their own toast.
Bradley just dropped a butter knife on his toe while he was buttering his toast which, when finished, had about a quarter of an inch thick layer of butter on it.
They're pretty much like miniature tornadoes :) Good thing the girls are at a friend's house! Which I must say is rather nice- this is the second day in a row that they've had friends come and take them home to play! (Luke's being kinda cute right now though- showing off his bubble blowing skills :) He's so proud of himslef that he's the only one in his nursery class that can actually blow bubbles :))
Kelly and Bradley both threw fits when I told them they had to change into something a little more summery (Brad's wearing a turtle neck and pants and Kelly's in long sleeves and pants too- I canNOT get them to change over to Summer clothes!) It's not too bad today since it's a little cooler outside, but they do this EVERY DAY! T
he boys beat each other up a little this morning in their room too, forgot about that and Noah is crying again.....

Okay so there ya have it- that's SOME of the reality of my world. I have to say- this has actually been a fairly normal day- not a bad one- so I'm sure things could be (and I know they have been) much worse. The day is only half over too- better keep that in mind. If this is the kind of stuff you want me to post about let me know :) I'll be sure to keep you up to date on all the tantrums, messes, and neglectings that go on in my home on a regular basis. I wouldn't mind seeing what you all go through during a normal day as well! Hope you all feel a little better about things- knowing that my life isn't really a fairytale (ALL the time :)). Sorry Sherry, but this is one of those posts that you shouldn't be thinking- "that's what I have to look forward to" :) Natalie I hope you aren't regretting our conversation :) now you know that we're not all picnics and parties :)

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Christa, you are awesome! I loved reading about your "real" day. I think we would all have similar posts if we were to make one. You are an awesome mom!!

(Hey, did you get an exersaucer?)

meg said...

That's the real story of mommyhood, for sure!! I hope you don't take offense when I say that it's all Hillarious. I can sooo relate and I love the pics. I will have to take pics of the "real" moments too!! Keep up the good work!!

Unknown said...

Wow, you are a brave woman! I don't think I could ever take a picture of my messy house. It's almost always messy (one of those things about having 5 kids, right?), but I'd rather everyone assume that it's spotless. My mom has this sign in her house that reads "My house was clean yesterday...sorry you missed it!" That should be my motto!

I'm glad you posted the good with the bad. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a messy house sometimes. :P