Thursday is one of the days that Steve has off. I have to admit I kind of look forward to his days off because I know I can beg him to come with me on all my pointless errands and that I will have someone there to entertain me and keep me company (yes, it is a very one-sided relationship). Well last Thursday was a really fun one. We played with Nana and drove around a ton.
Steve taught Noah how to air drum in the car while we waited for Nate.
Lukey fell asleep.
Then that night something very funny/embarrassing happened! I am not sure why I'm posting this, but Steve keeps asking me if I have (obviously he isn't a reader) I'm sure he loves the idea of me making a fool of myself in front of you all. SO anyway. We were at Smith's Marketplace in Bountiful (keep that in mind and don't ever shop there). Picking up some treats for my dad. As we were standing in line Steve noticed some yummy Caramel Kit Kat bars and that there was a red tag that said "2/$100" under them. He grabbed one and offered to buy one for me (so sweet!). He set them on the conveyor belt and the lady rang them up. The total came to $1.68. ??????? I was surprised since he was only buying the 2 candybars so I butted in as he was handing the lady his $2 and said, "WAIT! Those were 2 for a dollar right?? Why is it so much?" The lady looked at them for a second and handed the receipt and change to Steve and announced that she couldn't do anything about it and sent us to Customer Service!!!! FOR 68 CENTS!!!! (Now, does anyone else find this strange??? That she couldn't just change the price and ring it up right???? My brother-in-law manages a Target and he's always said how Target has a policy that if.......oh wait, maybe I shouldn't be broadcasting that.....either way, Target would have changed it on the spot for me!!! or us I mean) So I was feeling kind of goofy (no kids around means I can be one I guess) and so I dragged Steve over to the Customer Service desk which only had one guy in line so seemed like a worthwhile venture. Well, turns out the guy was buying a money order or soemthing and having it sent to like Nigeria or something and was completely clueless, so it was like 20 minutes of standing there behind him. Now I don't quite know how to explain how Steve and I were acting while we were in line, but obnoxious might come close to covering it. We were laughing and joking around and Steve kept making fun of me for making such a big deal about 68 cents. There were a few people behind us eventually, and they pretty much looked at us like we were high or something. And now I know (thanks to steve) that i have a "High Girl Laugh", so it may have been even more convincing. But anyway. Okay, so we FINALLY get up to the front of the line. I'm completely hysterical by now and can hardly talk without laughing and I set the candybars up on the counter and holding back the laughter said, "we were overcharged". The lady was annoyed. She asked how much, and I replied, "68 cents" again, barely able to control the laughter. It really was funny for the most part, but at this point it was starting to turn into embarrassing. So she slides this little green slip of paper over to me and asks me to fill it out!!!!! FOR 68 CENTS!!! I looked over at Steve as I began writing my name and address, and said, "am I really filling this out for 68 cents?". Then once I finished filling out the "dollar amount" as $0.68, I realized this was a HUGE waste of time and asked the lady, "Do I really need to fill this out for 68 cents???" She said, "well, wait a minute, let me see those" and takes off (this is important in the story) AWAY FROM THE COUNTER to look at the checkout aisle next to the customer service counter to see what the price tag says on the candy bars there. She walks back over and says, "no, they're 79 cents each, says it right there." And I of course was SHOCKED at first but then realized, we're not idiots, we did see the tag, so I said, "Can you just come over and look at the tag where we got it?" (yes, that is one of the most embarrassing things I've done lately, but I did it!) And this is the funniest part of all!!! She says, "No, I'm sorry, I CAN'T LEAVE THIS COUNTER"!!!!!!! HELLO!!!! YOU JUST DID LADY!!!! Course I didn't think about that then, and just walked over to where we had gotten them, double checked the sign and YES, it DID SAY 2/$100, for the EXACT candybar we were buying, exact size and everything, I even checked the bar code number thing and SURE ENOUGH!!!!! So I couldn't control myself, I had to grab the sign, took some reaching behind the plastic cover, but I got it out of there and walked it over to the Customer Service Lady. She of course was busy with the next customer and I was feeling REALLY stupid by then, so I just set it down on her keyboard (since she wouldn't look at me) and said, "I just wanted you to see this, so you could fix it in your system". And she says to me, "Well, it's going to take a minute to fill out all the forms AND PAPERWORK (can you believe that!)....." and I just cut her off and said, "I'm good, I just wanted you to see that." I wish I would have had the time to stand there and make her fill out all the "paperwork" to get SIXTY-EIGHT CENTS back. (Can you tell I'm getting heated just talking about it). Steve was totally laughing at me. He thought it was hilarious and a huge waste of time. And as much as I think I may have gone just a little overboard......I still want to call the manager and tell them that they're screwed up!!!
(Steve always makes me tell this part) when we were at the Sushi place I realized that I hadn't grabbed the 3 cents change that was leftover from my Dad's treats.....so that's 71 cents that Smith's stole from us (or my Dad and Steve) that night!!
And at the end of it all Steve says, "We should do this more often!"
Oh yeah, and with Steve's picture on here, he wanted me to mention that "Ladies, he's single and AVAILABLE!!!" For all you single ladies out there! I love to humor Steve for some reason.

6 comments:
That's hilarious! Good for you to stand up for your rights! :-)
I would've gone through the trouble for 68 cents. That kind of stuff drives me crazy. It's about prinicple. By the way- you don't have to repost the pay it forward thing- I'll just give you a homemade gift :).
Christa, you crack me up! I am so glad that I am not the only one that gets bugged when prices aren't right. My husband gets embarassed, but I just think of it as this way, what if they charged 3,000 (random number -ha, ha)people the wrong price, they could totally pocket that money. I totally would've stood in line again, just to make that lady mad (I am terrible -ha, ha)
It sounds like you had a fun night with your brother. I don't think I've got to just be goofy like that since pre-children (probably have though, I get a little silly when my mom and sis. and I hang out).
That's Steve? Wow, i feel old. I forgot that people do, eventually, become adults too......I bet the kids have a blast when he comes on errands with you!
Christa! I just had to laugh at your experience. It reminded me of quite a few experiences of my own. My mom is the same way. I remember going to the store with her when I was younger and being so emberessed that she was making such a big deal over such a little amount of money. Well, little did I know that Nate, my husband is also the same way, except he will do anything to save a penny. He will do anything to get a deal!! So funny~
Post a Comment