Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Maynes Family Halloween Party

I'm really embarrassed to say that I haven't a single picture of the Halloween Party. I'm a disgrace to bloggers around the world, I know. But I thought, instead of pictures, maybe I could treat you to some of the yummy recipes I used for our fondue instead.
Nate wanted to have an 80's night. So we asked everyone to dress up (knowing that no one really would need to dress up- HA! Totally kidding-- we knew that Nancy would be the one to get the most into it though :) Thanks Nance!). Then we had a night of Fondue (idea taken from the Manwaring's family Christmas Party that they so graciously took us to when we were stuck in Alaska for a week- that family is incredible. We loved the fondue idea and had been wanting to copy it for some time now) Nate's family has enough people so we were able to ask each family to bring a different ingredient that would be good with chocolate, cheese, caramel and oil fondues. I think everyone was skeptical about the idea (just because it was different I think), but anyway- I thought it all went really well!! I was so proud of my chocolate and caramel. And after Paulette complimented my cheese I was relieved- I wasn't sure it was going to work. But yeah, so then we got everyone in a big circle for the candy game, he had like 2 other games that we never even got to because the one was such a big hit with everyone. But it was just a really fun night with the Maynes family- we were glad that so many came ALL THE WAY out to our house.
So anyway here are my recipes:

Cheese Fondue:
1 1/2 cups milk
6 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 T mustard
Put all ingredients in a pot and heat on low heat until melted and smooth. Pour into fodue pot (or crock pot). Serve with bread, sausages, vegetables, etc.
Mine looked like it was going to be grainy- but the texture seemed fine as long as I stirred it up frequently.

Chocolate Fondue:
4 bags of milk chocolate chips
about 1 cup of heavy whipping cream (just use 1/2 and add as needed)
Melt chocolate in crock pot (or microwave or fondue pot), add cream when the chocolate is fully melted. Keep stirring this as well. We served ours with strawberries, bananas, pineapple, angel food cake, marshmellows and cinnamon bears. mmmmmmm

Caramel Fondue:
1 can evaporated milk
2 bags caramels
1 Tbsp vanilla
Melt caramels with evaporated milk on low heat. Add vanilla. Pour into fondue pot (or crock pot) and stir often. I think the apples were really good in the caramel, but most of the things for the chocolate tasted good with the caramel too.

Then for the oil we were just going to heat the oil and then put it in a crock pot, but we didn't have enough crock pots so we just did it in our fryer (cheaters)- turned out great though. We dipped marinated beef chunks and chicken chunks in ours, but the recipe suggested fish and shrimp too- have to try that sometime.

So anyway- we had a good time. Hopefully I can steal some of Grandma Ruthie's pictures from the evening.

3 comments:

Buchanan Fam said...

Thanks for the recipes! We've been wanting to do fondue for a long time now.

Julz said...

I'm excited to try those out! My last couple times with the fondue pot have turned into a bit of disasters, so maybe I better try the crock pot! It's hard to mess up anything in a crock pot, right?

Kaye and Jared said...

Those recipes look good! I'll have to try them. So I was thinking about you and wondering how things have been going. Sounds like things are as busy as ever!! Looks like the Jazz game was a hit too!! How fun! Don't be a stranger!